Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner, and it is for you to find the other three. Confucius

25 March 2011

What to do Next

Hi Everyone,

Well, as I mentioned in the last post, Jay is now officially a homeschooler. I had been churning over in my mind exactly how to facilitate his learning in a practical way.

Until he turned six I had just been following my nose with his learning, but have been feeling a bit of additional pressure to add something, to get a bit more structured.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been very tempted to sit him down to do an organised maths or phonics programme but held back to see what came about naturally, and low and behold, he motivated himself.......again.

First of all, he asked to do some Story of the World. We are looking at Egypt, and he literally spent 2 1/2 hours drawing, copying Heiroglyphics symbols, writing various english words and asking for additional information about the subject matter.

Later he asked to do a lapbook and did a project about the solar system, including properties of various planets and we discussed their suitability for human habitiation...mainly in pictures of course...he is only six :)

The next day we played Monopoly, which he loves, and he practised counting, addition, subtraction and handling money in a socially enjoyable way.

Later he discovered our flower presses and he and Freida went out to collect lavender and arranged them in the press before making a birthday card for one of their friends.

I take all of this as a reminder to trust my children and their desire to learn. They are curious, motivated children and if I don't de-sensitise them with mind numbingly boring drills they will do just fine, often without my well-meaning intervention...

Talk Soon, Cynthia x