Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner, and it is for you to find the other three. Confucius

18 February 2011

In a Nutshell...

Well, here I am finally catching up with the 21st Century and delving into this blogging business what an adventure.....

My teenager is humming French ditties in the background, my 5 year old is in his room playing with our 5 (yes, that's right, 5!!!) kittens, my 2year old is asleep on the couch, and finally I can sit down to write my first blog entry.

What to write.......I am forty years old, and the grateful mother of three homeschooling children between the ages of 2 and 14 years. I love gardening, cooking, reading, writing and spending time with people I care about. I plan to someday be pretty much self sufficient as far as fruit, vegies and eggs go.....will keep you posted on that one.

We are a family of great curiosity, interests, and a passion for learning, albeit with quite different styles, which makes us perfect candidates for the eclectic approach to homeschooling. By incorporating bits from classical and natural learning and Charlotte Mason into our routine (such as it is ), we seem to have a pretty good balance in our living and learning styles. As a family we strongly value respect and tolerance toward others and manage this pretty well most of the time.

I am in the process of writing a book about homeschooling, hence the title of this blog. Writing a book is something I feel I can share with those on the start of the hs journey. I remember as a newbie wondering and worrying about just whether I could educate my children at home.....and I was a school teacher...go figure!!

That was 5 years ago now and at times it has been a pretty steep learning curve. There's been laughter, tears, some of the nicest people you could meet, and lots of incidental learning along the way. The honest sharing of this amazing mix of experiences of how it is when you're doing the homeschool thing day in and out is the essence of what I want to convey. I figure writing a book is all about trust and putting one foot in front of the other, as long as you genuinely have something of value to say, just keep going and it will all fall into place.....that's what I'm telling myself anyway :)

I look forward to sharing our homeschooling adventures and observations with you, as I add the roles author and blogger to my repertoire :)

Talk more soon, Cynthia